Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Building a DOOMSDAY machine here! (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2771)

Hermes 04-28-2007 02:52 PM

Building a DOOMSDAY machine here!

Well not really hah. But I wouldn't consider my comp a pofs anymore!! in the last couple months ive upgraded from 256 to 768 and now to 1g of ram and from a 64mb vid card to a 512mb. If i get a new comp i've got all the parts to pimp it out already, just need a better cheap comp that needs the parts ive already got and im set!
One question tho, i just realized the old ram i was runnin was a 256mb (266mhz) and i had it next to my new 512 (333 mhz) for a few months. Isn't that bad for ur comp?

catch22 04-28-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes
Well not really hah. But I wouldn't consider my comp a pofs anymore!! in the last couple months ive upgraded from 256 to 768 and now to 1g of ram and from a 64mb vid card to a 512mb. If i get a new comp i've got all the parts to pimp it out already, just need a better cheap comp that needs the parts ive already got and im set!
One question tho, i just realized the old ram i was runnin was a 256mb (266mhz) and i had it next to my new 512 (333 mhz) for a few months. Isn't that bad for ur comp?

From what i have been told on the RAM thing is no, it wont harm it. but if you have the slower ram in the first port, and the faster ram in the second port i was told it slows the faster ram down. I have no idea if this is true, its just what i have been told.

Fire 04-29-2007 03:18 AM

I hear that it's bad. Can't explain why really, but the fact that you asked that question, you already knew somehow it wasn't "good" for it.

My opinion: It may not be bad, but it definitely isn't good.

Hermes 04-30-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch22
if you have the slower ram in the first port, and the faster ram in the second port i was told it slows the faster ram down. I have no idea if this is true, its just what i have been told.

Yeah i did have the slower ram in the first one, and it was a HUGE difference from the '768' to 1 gig so it probably was doin just that.

SacredTbag 05-03-2007 01:34 AM

there's nothing wrong with that. it doesn't matter jack which slot they're in either. if you're using 2 different speeds of memory, 266/333, the motherboard will run both sticks at the lower speed, 266, instead of overclocking the other to match. also, if you have a chipset that supports dual channel, you need ram with the same speed and quantity. identical sticks is recommended.

a lot of the time people will buy higher speed memory to give more headroom for overclocking. but running slower memory can slow the whole system down. you want it to at least match the motherboard's rated memory speed.

i would highly recommend you getting either a single 1gb stick or 2 matching 512mb sticks if your system supports dual channel. not that what you have is bad, but you're not getting the performance you could.

people tend to look at memory like they do cpu's. it's not only quantity that matters, the speed plays a big role too. also latency is a large factor. a lot of people tend to judge cpu's by gigahertz, and that's the wrong way to do it. there are many more factors that are more important.

question, what video card did you put in it? i'm guessing from the memory speeds that it's an agp system.

Hermes 05-04-2007 02:56 AM

They both are 512mb sticks at 333mhz now. I really have no clue if it supports dual whatever. Im not still runnin the 256... i just didnt realize they were different speeds until i went to replace it with a second 512

my vid card is a Nvidia Geforece 7600 GS OC.
if u wanna see the details i took a pic of it and posted it a while ago when i got it.
http://fallenangelsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2442