Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Question For Gamer's (http://www.fallenangelsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4514)

Rathious 05-07-2008 10:53 PM

Question For Gamer's

Is it me or for the past 1 or 2 years have they basically just released crap games?

I really am having a hard time believeing that this is the best these companies can do. I mean really are we soon to be playing the next COD or the next tom clancey game that rolls off the shelf I am thinking most people would say no. I mean forgive me if i am wrong take mmorpg's. The biggest ones have been the biggest for the past 4 years since they released.

Is the game industry run clean out of fresh new ideas? Or is this the result of the release of vista and XP being out there still holding back the developers. I see hardware going nuts but nothing worth wild is releasing as of this day. There are games coming out but I don't know maybe i am just not see the titles that are great.

I am killing time until the release of warhammer online and want any suggestion on games to try out. I also have a ps3 but not really into gaming on it .

Just wondering if anyone has some gem of a game they are playing and want to share the title so i can check it out.

MegamanEXE 05-07-2008 11:58 PM

2007 Was hailed as the best year in video gaming history, and 2008 is going to be better. Lets take a look at the list, shall we?

CoD4, GTA IV, Orange Box, Crysis, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Mass Effect, Unreal Tournament III, BioShock, DirT, Forza Motorsport 2, GT5 Prolouge now and GT5 coming soon, God of War II, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, Dark Sector, Lost Planet....

Yeah, nothing good has come out *eyeroll*

And I dont want to hear "Well, well, well, those are console game!!!!"

At least half of those are on PC: CoD4, GTA IV, Orange Box, Crysis, DMC4, Mass Effect, UTIII, Bioshock, Dirt, GHIII, Lost Planet, all available for the beige box.

As for the MMO's thing, you have to understand the nature of an MMORPG. You have to first understand that most gamers are NOT playing life-wasting MMO's. In addition, it takes shit loads of work to create one. Instead of having predestined environments like most games, you have to create something where the player can go anywhere they please.

IceBlade 05-08-2008 09:11 AM

What he said ^

Rathious 05-08-2008 12:57 PM

okie okie I guess you are right if i have to admit it but. I have cod4 I have most of the games listed but i also notice that all of them are part II or part V and what not now i admit I don't own GTA IV yet but i will pick it up today. I just have a feeling I will be playing sequels to games forever that is all. I guess that is what i meant to say is are we going to be playing sequels forever lol. I don't know maybe i am starting to grow out of gaming not sure. I hope not though or i wasted alot of money on a hobby i really enjoy. Thanks for the input on the games released I always seem to forget i have a PS3. I have some titles to look at. Been beta testing Age of conan although i haven't had much time as of late.

MegamanEXE 05-08-2008 03:04 PM

There are plenty of original games coming out.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Fracture, Too Human, Lego Indiana Jones, Warhammer Online

And that just names a few of the games that will be huge when they come out.

N0de 06-11-2008 08:34 PM

you forgot the coveted halo 3 coming out... i really hope its the last of those, altho watching people on release day is funny. Sorry Im not a big fan of halo, but it did sell a lot.

MaVeRiCk 06-12-2008 10:19 AM

It always feels like sequels are dominating original titles because they are. Companies like to stick with what works, and gamers generally respond to "what works."

MMO's are another beast entirely, a 4 year lifespan on an MMO is short. It takes massive amounts of resources and development to fuel an MMO thus you don't see a myriad of new titles (save expansions) because of the cost barrier. The one exception to this is NCSoft but they make fisher price type MMO's not "real" industry busting ones.

PC Gaming has, unfortunately, been on the out for a very long time. This trend has picked up speed in recent years with the more widespread use of multiplayer gaming on consoles. I've still yet to find a console game that has held my interest for several years on end like previous PC games have. However that may be in part because I prefer PC games or as I've gotten older I have a more difficult time justifying time spent on video games.

The only real good original games I can think of that have been released in the last 12 months (I'm not going by fiscal year) would be Mass Effect and Bioshock (both of which have sequels slated).